Teatrino di Palazzo Grassi
In 1857 Palazzo Grassi was bought by Baron Simeone De Sina, who decided to create a small garden wtih fountains, scenic designs, columns and pergolas. In 1951, when the International Centre for Arts and Costume was established, the garden was replaced by an open-air theatre, which in the 1960s was covered to host receptions, fashion shows and theatrical performances. With the closure of the International Centre for Arts and Costume in 1983, the theatre became redundant. Afer the restoration of Palazzo Grassi in 2006, followed by that of Punta della Dogana in 2009, the renovation and transformation of the Teatrino in 2013 represented the third phase of François Pinault’s cultural project in Venice. Conceived by Tadao Ando, Palazzo Grassi’s new Teatrino has a 225-seat auditorium that hosts a rich and varied cultural programme (screenings, concerts, lectures).