Born in Osaka in 1935 into a family of artists, Tetsumi Kudo was mainly active in the 1950s when Japan enjoyed rapid economic recovery and political stablilty following the Second World War. Studing at the University of the Arts in Tokyo, he received a traditional art education, but began responding to the restless climate of the 1960s by creating uninhibited and provocative works. After moving to Paris in 1962, he created an installation that combined artificial fragments of the body with clocks, thermometers and laboratory flasks. Kudo did not want to learn about European culture, but declared that the western world should learn from oriental artists. In his works, Kudo tries to underline the pathologies and contradictions of post-war European society.
During the 1980s, Kudo’s art changed direction, becoming more reflective, and the visceral gave way to more abstract and contemplative works. His art has been exhibited at different international institutions, among them the Walker Art Center and the Andrea Rosen Gallery in 2008; and La Maison Rouge in Paris in 2007.